Happy Easter

12 Apr

Happy Easter! I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend celebrating the greatest Christian holiday. We are so blessed to have a Lord and Savior who suffered for our sins, conquered death and rose again all that we could have eternal life with Him.

As usual, Ben and I celebrated the holiday a little out of tradition. I began celebrating Easter about a week and a half ago, when I baked an Easter Bunny cake. I had seen this cake last year and decided to make it for a cake walk at work. It was the easiest and most fun cake I have made up to this point. All you need is one box of cake mix, two round cake pans and frosting. I chose chocolate cake and vanilla frosting. After your cakes have cooled, you cut ears out of one round cake by cutting two pointed ovals. The middle section makes up a bow tie for the bunny (I didn’t know they had bow ties).

The next step was to start frosting. I used a medium star and began with the top of the cake. I left room for the pink of the ears and also for the eyes and nose. The next step was the sides of the cake and lastly, I dyed some light blue and light pink frosting for the ears, eyes and bow tie. A little grey for the outlining and the bunny was done. I think if I made this cake again, I would find some candy to add more detail to the bow tie and I would make the ears slightly larger.

Back to Easter weekend, I got off work at noon on Friday, ran a few errands and went home to pack the car for our very first camping trip. We left town at 3:30 and showed up to Flat Rock Ranch by 4:45, thanks to a little traffic on the way. We chose this for two reasons, the first being that it was about an hour from our house and the second because it is a ranch solely for mountain biking. Now, I do not mountain bike, but Ben does and I’m happy anywhere in the country, so it was a great choice. Ben took off on his bike as soon as we got to the campsite and I happily set up the tent and I un-packed a few things. I most definitely set a personal record for fastest time setting up a tent, but I had a little set-back when the air mattress wouldn’t fit inside the tent. I took a nap in the shade on the mattress and tried to decided if sleeping under the stars would be an option with all the Texas bugs.

I took a short walk on the ‘No-Sweat’ bike trail and waited for Ben to get back from his ride. When he came back from biking, he was able to help me shove the mattress in the tent.  We fired up the grill and started cooking brats for me and sausage for him. I also worked a little magic and was able to start a fire. The night ended with us sitting by the fire, eating a few smores and trying to see stars through a few clouds. Unfortunately, shortly after we went to bed another group of campers pulled in and made lots of noise for a few hours and we didn’t actually get to sleep until about 4 am.

Our First Camping Trip

I woke up around 8 and started getting ready to go running on the trails. The owner’s daughter told me it was fine to go running as long as I went the opposite way of the bikers, so I could see them coming. I brought my hip belt with water bottle holders because I really had no idea how long I would be out running/hiking. I haven’t had much luck with it fitting or being comfortable in the past, but I knew I needed to bring water because it was possible I was going to run and hike an 11 mile trail loop.

I started out with a few minutes of walking and then started running at a slow pace. Some areas I could go a little faster because the trail was wide or relatively rock free, but I spent most of the time looking down and making sure my footing was good. The run was great, the ranch was beautiful and I got to see a few baby goats as well.

I totally surprised myself by running for an hour and half over what I figure was between 4 and 5 miles of trails. Normally, I would cover 9 miles in that time, but there was a lot of hills, rocks and crazy footing that slowed me down. I am totally planning on running there again and I think it would be a great place to do some marathon training in the future. About the time I got back from running, Ben was getting ready to head out on the same trail. I spent the next few hours napping and reading in the sun. Ben biked for 3 hours and was very tired when he got done. We cooked another meal of brats and sausage and attempted to cook some potatoes in beer cans because we forgot the pan to cook them in. At that point we decided we were not going to do any more trail activity on Sunday, and didn’t want to deal with our loud camping neighbors cutting into our sleep, so we cut the camping short and came home. We had a nice dinner out with friends on the riverwalk at The Republic of Texas restaurant. .

This morning we went to church and then went to the original Rudy’s BBQ in Boerne for lunch. It was a beautiful day and we enjoyed our meal outside, courtesy of the Book of Free coupon. The rest of the day was spent lying around and relaxing. I hope everyone else had an enjoyable weekend!


Posted by on April 12, 2012 in Baking, Faith, Holidays


Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

3 responses to “Happy Easter

  1. Sharon

    April 13, 2012 at 9:56 AM

    Love hearing about your trip/Easter. Soooooooo glad you were careful – Nancy fell while jogging on Friday and broke two fingers and is having surgery today.
    Darling cake! love, s


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: